BBQ Pro Shop was invited to review the Extech TM55 Instant Read Thermometer. We firmly believe that a high quality instant read thermometer is an essential tool for smoking BBQ or grilling in the backyard. Why? A good thermometer gives you the confidence that your food is done, or lets you know where it is in the process when smoking a brisket, turkey, pork shoulder or chicken. We are often lost when asked to grill a tenderloin or thick chicken breasts at a friends house who does not own a quality instant read meat thermometer. Finding a high quality, inexpensive instant read thermometer is not easy to do, but look no further!
The BBQ Pro Shop lab was issued a Extech TM55 Pocket Fold-Up Food Thermometer we were excited to see a product from a high quality brand. The Extech TM55 is an incredible value at a $35 price point, and we were not disappointed. We have been loyal to our Thermoworks Thermapen for a long time, but at almost 3X the price, it is difficult to recommend to friends and family who are in need of a high quality instant read meat thermometer. The Extech TM55 has excellent read time and is accurate within 1DegreeF/0.5DegreeC.
To test it, we were indirect cooking some pretty thick, bone in chicken breasts. About 30 minutes in, we poked them with the Extech TM55 and within 3 seconds, had a solid reading. Poked it again, got the same result, poked it a third time and obtained a quick and accurate reading! Most inexpensive thermometers slowly give you a reading and when that happens it lowers your confidence level. Speed is a really important part of a quality instant read thermometer.
We give the Extech TM55 a solid 5 Star rating, take a look at some of these features, and for less than $35 it is one of the best values out there. Click the link below and order yours from Amazon, ships free with Amazon Prime!
- Measures from -40 to 482°F (-40 to 250°C) with 2.4 inch (61 millimeter) stainless steel probe (NSF certified).
- Fast response time at < 5 seconds in moving liquid.
- Large LCD display with 0.1° resolution.
- Basic accuracy: ±1°F/0.5°C.
- Auto power off (with disable) after 1 hour or when probe is placed in stored position.
- Probe can be positioned from 0° (storage) to 180° angle.
- Ultrasonically welded housing (waterproof IP65 rated) with anti-microbial additive.
- Built-in magnetized strip attaches to refrigerator or smoker stand.
- Dishwasher safe (top rack).
- Dimensions: 4.6×1.5×0.8 inch (116 x 38 x 20 millimeter); Weight:1.5 ounce (41.2 gram).
- Complete with CR2032 battery.