Being a retailer and an owner of Primo Smokers and Grills, we are often asked the question, “I just got a Primo Smoker and I want to use it to smoke something, what do I do?” Well you are certainly in for some fun! Having been an owner who faced the same daunting thought of ”How do I get started?” I wanted to share some tips with you on how I started learning to use my Primo as a Smoker and not just as the best charcoal grill I have ever used!
- Join the Primo Grill Forum (PGF): Sign Up. Read up and try a few of the processes that they give you. The thing about the Primo that I have learned is that it is easy to configure and can be configured in all sorts of ways. Many of the members of the PGF have thousands of hours and hundreds of successful cooks. So if you are looking for experience and processes to call your own, this a great way to get started. Do some research on what you want to cook first, learn how to configure your grill, start your fire and use your smoker. They helped me out a ton and ultimately I had to dry out a few briskets, undercook some pork butts and burn some babybacks to find my groove. Expect to do the same.
- Heat Control: If you are going to be slow smoking meats, save yourself a lot of time and get yourself a BBQ Guru, call them to help you configure it and no need to go with all the bells and whistles on your first go. Buy a BBQ Guru that makes sense for you. If you are a purest, this may not be for you , but I found my BBQ Guru to be the difference between sleepless BBQ Cooks and sleeping like a baby! It changed my success rate with smoking as I found it difficult to control and maintain the heat with out one.
- Make Sure You Have Proper Primo Accessories: Make sure that you have Ceramic D Plates and a set of Roaster Drip Pan Racks, I use a water pan on top of my D-Plates and have a lot of success with this method in conjunction with the BBQ Guru. Learned how to do this on the Primo Grill Forum, and there are many ways to do this, but having this system in place turns your Primo into a smoker or at least an indirect cooker, which makes all the difference.
- Anything but Brisket: As a beginner, all I wanted to do was cook a brisket, so I dried out a few before I did the research and was told that this was the toughest one too cook! So I started with Pork Butts and Babyback ribs, learned to rub them the right way, start a fire, and hold a temperature for long periods of time. Then after I got all those things working, I cooked a brisket and got better and better at it. So my advice is start with the basics and work your way up to the more challenging cuts.
- Have fun!: Manage your expectations. You are not going to be smoking Myron Mixon style on your first cook, so be willing to experiment and learn from your mistakes. I was told to always take good notes, from the start of the cook, to the end of the cook. This has helped me repeat my success and tweak for improvements when I cook. So if you remember to have fun, and that this is a learning process, your end results will only get better and better.
Share and Enjoy
A new site for Elizabeth Karmel’s Grill Friends® by Harold’s Import has launched with all the details on Elizabeth Karmel’s award-winning line of grilling tools and accessories. The official “Queen of the Grill” Elizabeth Karmel, was raised on the art of outdoor grilling and BBQ in North Carolina and turned her passion for fire into a full-fledged empire.
Karmel’s is the original “Grill Girl” look no further than her impressive list of accomplishments in all things grilling. Since 2001, she has been educating women grillers (Girls At The Grill), launching her web site www.girlsatthegrill.com. Karmel has written barbeque cookbooks and continues to rite grilling articles for Associate Press, Bon Appetit and Everyday with Rachael Ray just to name a few! Karmel hosts trips to America’s most famous barbecue regions and is the executive chef at NYC’s and Washington DC’s Hill Country BBQ.
Elizabeth Karmel’s Grill Friends® BBQ accessories are designed by a professional and someone who actual grills and does it professionally. If you are looking to make your grilling experience easy, fun and delicious, Karmel has all of the products and books to make it happen. the Grill Friends® Product line includes the award-winning Super Silicone™ Angled BBQ Basting Brush, Flavored Wood Chips, Organic Grilling Planks and many more barbecue grill accessories. BBQ Pro Shop has been a supporter of Elizabeth Karmel and is the exclusive online retailer of the Elizabeth Karmel’s web sites, www.elizabethkarmel.com and www.girlsatthegrill.com. We are disciples of The Queen of the Grill and she is our Grill Girl!
Follow Elizabeth on Twitter @grillgirl
Share and Enjoy
Our favorite and BBQ Mentor Elizabeth Karmel Interviewed By The Q recently as the BBQ Expert that she is, representing Hill Country Barbecue, and shares tells her secret for great barbecue at The Q from the South Beach Food & Wine Festival. We love that she shares the importance of “Feeling the love” of BBQ. Checkout this short video for some inspiration!
Elizabeth Karmel grew up in North Carolina where she was raised on BBQ. Karmel is frequently quoted and generally regarded as America’s female grilling expert. Karmel created Girls at the Grill in 2001 to share her passion for outdoor cooking with girls (and any willing guy) everywhere. www.GirlsattheGrill.com is committed to providing backyard cooks (and women who are tired of burnt chicken and shoe-leather steak) with simple easy-to-understand instructions, lifestyle information and recipes for everything from classic cookouts to gourmet grill meals. Grill Friends is a line of kitchen and grilling tools that solve problems that real cooks have in the kitchen, around the grill and at the table.
Share and Enjoy
It is holiday time and BBQ Pro Shop wants to provide a Grilling Spice Gift Set that fits your budget and makes the griller in your life happy! Pick any TWO Nantucket Off-Shore Seasonings and we will ship them for Free to any destination in the United States! That is a $20 value for just $15.96! Just add two or more Nantucket Off-Shore Seasonings to your cart and enter discount code: FREECG at check out. Please feel free to fill out the gift message and we will enclose your note and ship them off to whomever you wish! You must order at least two and anything else you order will be charged for shipping, but minus the cost of the Nantucket Seasonings on your order.
Gretchen and I’s favorite salt free spices are from Nantucket Off-Shore! Our first was Nantucket Off-Shore Renaissance Rub which will bring a vibrant rebirth of flavor to Italian cooking and grilling. With a harmonious and herbaceous blend of oregano, rosemary, and garlic punctuated by sesame seeds, hot red pepper, sweet sun-dried tomato bits, and lemon zest this one is tough to beat. The Mt. Olympus rub is excellent on chicken or fish, the Prairie Rub is just awesome on steaks or burgers and the Rasta Rub and Bayou Rubs spice things up in a special way!