Who can resist cheesy potatoes? Not us! Grilling potatoes, especially on a charcoal grill, has a distinct flavor that is particularly mouthwatering. We love this Indiana (and Idaho) recipe because it uses three cheeses, bacon, and chives. It’s so good that you’ll keep going back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. Plus, grilled cheese is a classic flavor that can be done a million ways and will always taste delicious.
- 6 large potatoes (sliced ¼-inch thick)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (white or green preferred)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (part-skim preferred)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound sliced bacon (cooked and crumbled or grilled—make sure the bacon is already cooked for this recipe)
- ¼ cup butter, in cubes (additional butter if using it to coat pan)
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic butter mix
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cut heavy-duty aluminum foil into two 18” squares. Coat with cooking spray or butter.
- Place the potato slices and onions evenly out on the foil.
- In a bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese and ¾ cup of both cheddar and mozzarella (leave ¼ cup each for later). Sprinkle cheese mixture on top of the potato slices.
- Put the bacon, butter, and chives on top of the potato slices as evenly as you can. Season with Heath Riles garlic butter mix or Boars Night Out White Lightning with Double Garlic Butter.
- Fold the foil together, sealing and crimping the ends tightly. You’ll want it to be a tight folded “ball” of foil so the potatoes cook evenly and tenderly on the grill.
- Grill over medium heat for about 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill. Open the foil carefully so as not to burn yourself. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of mozzarella and cheddar, and season with pepper to taste.
When serving, offer sour cream and hot sauce on the side for even more unbelievable flavor.
Check out Kick Ash Basket
This recipe was brought to you by your grilling buds at Kick Ash Basket! They make charcoal grilling easier than ever before. Their baskets and cans let you clean your charcoal ash without a mess, and their adjustable dividers make it easy to separate your cooks.
Find out more about what they do and why they do it here. We’re proud to be kicking ash and making flames with them, and BBQ Pro Shop is doubly proud to partner with Kick Ash Basket to bring you the best-tasting grilled dishes.