2020 could have been the year that saw nothing new, but in fact, it was the exact opposite! The Pit Masters and Great BBQ Minds took this “great pause” as some called it to create even more products to love while we dusted off our smokers and grills and cooked at home, more than we would have liked! So as a way to send off 2020 in a positive light, here are our highlights of a year that we will never forget.
1. Flavor Anonymous Double Down – 2020 was the year of great new innovations and this one tops our list as one that took compound butter and out it in powder form, killer on steaks, chops, and veggies, this one needs to be in your arsenal. SCA Steak Competitors should take notice of this flavor! If you haven’t checked out the Flavor Anonymous Line Up, you’re missing out!
2. Boars Night Out Spicy White Lightning – Last year they gave us Double Garlic Butter and this year they made it in under the wire with a spicy Variant to their already famous seasoning that change the steak game for so many. Who knew a little spice could go such a long way?
3. Dead Bird BBQ DB180 Sweet BBQ Rub – This whole line is one of our new favorites, but this one stands out as using everything in a powdered form top create a sweetness that is so naturally delicious it becomes a go-to when you want to take the sweet profile to the next level.
4. Heath Riles BBQ Simple Citrus – This one flew under the radar in 2020 and has fast become one of our favorites as a go-to on chicken, fish, and especially veggies. Heath rolled out a bunch of noteworthy flavors in 2020 and the “simplicity” of this spice makes it the one that stands out for us.
5. Pancho and Lefty Steaks Texas Black S.P.G. – In a year where garlic was the star of the BBQ rub show, this one blew us away from the rest of the pack. Roland is a steak rub master and he came up with a few new entries to his rub line, but this one really came out of nowhere and packs a unique garlic flavor that will make it a go-to SPG rub.
6. Killer Hogs TX Brisket Rub – Most of what Malcom touches turns to gold and one thing missing from his lineup was a true brisket rub. This one hits all the notes of a classic Texas rub, simple with huge chunks of pepper, salt and touches of his secret blend, it is as good on steaks as it is on large cuts of beef.
7. Rack Masters Big Rack Rub – Duane has his heart and soul into this soon to be classic, it is a steak and burger rub that brings the salt and pepper flavor with the secret spices that will set off whatever you put it on, we expect big things from this one, and it is already tearing up the SCA circuit.
8. Loot N Booty Jolly Roger Jalapeño Garlic Black Rub – There is so much to love about this one, whether it is the black coloring it imparts on the meat or the powerful balance of garlic and jalapeño, this one is an up and comer in the world of steak competitions and it has been under special release, but soon to be available to the masses.
9. Pitdaddy Outfitters American Tradition – The world needed a more unique and delicious all-purpose BBQ rub and Dylan brings us this! Made with ingredients so unique that you need to cook with them in order to even understand. I have tried this on ribs, chicken, and my eggs and each use is anything but traditional! the whole Pitdaddy lineup deserves a shot, this line is made with love.
10. Blues Hog BBQ Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce – New is relative and Blues Hog has some of the most commonly known sauces, but this year they introduced us to a new flavor, and what a wonderful experience it is. Used as a glaze or as a dipping sauce the sweetness and slight heat from the chipotle is a match made to please. Incredible on ribs, turkey, and a finishing glaze on pork chops, try it in the new Blues Hog squeeze bottle, another winner for 2020!
These are just some of my favorites and the notables for 2020 that came out in the heart of a supply chain nightmare that saw all parts of our business under stress and yet these incredible small business owners emerged triumphant. Thanks to all who became customers and friends in 2020, we have so much planned for 2021, stay tuned for more!