The Smoke Freaks are the official BBQ Pro Shop Factory Team, who have developed a knack for cooking salmon after catching 300 lbs. of king salmon on their honeymoon many years ago. This recipe for cedar planked salmon is a simple as it gets. The Freaks started with a medium coat of Fire & Smoke Shiitake Steak Rub , now available at BBQ Pro Shop. This rub contains high-quality black pepper and sea salt. The added dried shavings of shiitake mushrooms help to form a beautiful crust and impart a lovely smoked flavor for a delicious twist on this healthy classic.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
1 skin-on salmon filet, about 1-1.5 lbs
Fire & Smoke Shiitake Steak Rub
- Preheat smoker or indirect grill to 425 degrees F.
- Soak cedar plank in water for at least 30 minutes, longer if you have time.
- Trim salmon as required or needed.
- Apply seasoning to top of filet (skin-side down) and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cedar plank from water and wipe off excess water.
- Place salmon on plank skin-side down and set in cooker for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from cooker at your desired level of doneness (135 degrees F) and serve immediately.
- Freak ON!
Factory Team Tip: The cedar plank helps to gently steam the salmon while pulling in delicate flavors from the wood. It also slows down the cooking time — so count on about twice as much time as grilling indirect without a plank. We like to take the Cedar Planked Salmon to about 135 degrees F, but it can be cooked to your desired level of doneness.