EXTECH TM 55 is lightweight, fits in your pocket and is quick on the temperature read.
BBQ Pro Shop was invited to review the Extech TM55 Instant Read Thermometer. We firmly believe that a high quality instant read thermometer is an essential tool for smoking BBQ or grilling in the backyard. Why? A good thermometer gives you the confidence that your food is done, or lets you know where it is in the process when smoking a brisket, turkey, pork shoulder or chicken. We are often lost when asked to grill a tenderloin or thick chicken breasts at a friends house who does not own a quality instant read meat thermometer. Finding a high quality, inexpensive instant read thermometer is not easy to do, but look no further!
The BBQ Pro Shop lab was issued a Extech TM55 Pocket Fold-Up Food Thermometer we were excited to see a product from a high quality brand. The Extech TM55 is an incredible value at a $35 price point, and we were not disappointed. We have been loyal to our Thermoworks Thermapen for a long time, but at almost 3X the price, it is difficult to recommend to friends and family who are in need of a high quality instant read meat thermometer. The Extech TM55 has excellent read time and is accurate within 1DegreeF/0.5DegreeC.
To test it, we were indirect cooking some pretty thick, bone in chicken breasts. About 30 minutes in, we poked them with the Extech TM55 and within 3 seconds, had a solid reading. Poked it again, got the same result, poked it a third time and obtained a quick and accurate reading! Most inexpensive thermometers slowly give you a reading and when that happens it lowers your confidence level. Speed is a really important part of a quality instant read thermometer.
We give the Extech TM55 a solid 5 Star rating, take a look at some of these features, and for less than $35 it is one of the best values out there. Click the link below and order yours from Amazon, ships free with Amazon Prime![amazon_link asins=’B00L44J6P6′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’bps072-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0b2b6e41-4026-11e7-8fa6-439aed2e8a64′]
- Measures from -40 to 482°F (-40 to 250°C) with 2.4 inch (61 millimeter) stainless steel probe (NSF certified).
- Fast response time at < 5 seconds in moving liquid.
- Large LCD display with 0.1° resolution.
- Basic accuracy: ±1°F/0.5°C.
- Auto power off (with disable) after 1 hour or when probe is placed in stored position.
- Probe can be positioned from 0° (storage) to 180° angle.
- Ultrasonically welded housing (waterproof IP65 rated) with anti-microbial additive.
- Built-in magnetized strip attaches to refrigerator or smoker stand.
- Dishwasher safe (top rack).
- Dimensions: 4.6×1.5×0.8 inch (116 x 38 x 20 millimeter); Weight:1.5 ounce (41.2 gram).
- Complete with CR2032 battery.