EXTECH TM 55 is lightweight, fits in your pocket and is quick on the temperature read.
BBQ Pro Shop was invited to review the Extech TM55 Instant Read Thermometer. We firmly believe that a high quality instant read thermometer is an essential tool for smoking BBQ or grilling in the backyard. Why? A good thermometer gives you the confidence that your food is done, or lets you know where it is in the process when smoking a brisket, turkey, pork shoulder or chicken. We are often lost when asked to grill a tenderloin or thick chicken breasts at a friends house who does not own a quality instant read meat thermometer. Finding a high quality, inexpensive instant read thermometer is not easy to do, but look no further!
The BBQ Pro Shop lab was issued a Extech TM55 Pocket Fold-Up Food Thermometer we were excited to see a product from a high quality brand. The Extech TM55 is an incredible value at a $35 price point, and we were not disappointed. We have been loyal to our Thermoworks Thermapen for a long time, but at almost 3X the price, it is difficult to recommend to friends and family who are in need of a high quality instant read meat thermometer. The Extech TM55 has excellent read time and is accurate within 1DegreeF/0.5DegreeC.
To test it, we were indirect cooking some pretty thick, bone in chicken breasts. About 30 minutes in, we poked them with the Extech TM55 and within 3 seconds, had a solid reading. Poked it again, got the same result, poked it a third time and obtained a quick and accurate reading! Most inexpensive thermometers slowly give you a reading and when that happens it lowers your confidence level. Speed is a really important part of a quality instant read thermometer.
We give the Extech TM55 a solid 5 Star rating, take a look at some of these features, and for less than $35 it is one of the best values out there. Click the link below and order yours from Amazon, ships free with Amazon Prime!
- Measures from -40 to 482°F (-40 to 250°C) with 2.4 inch (61 millimeter) stainless steel probe (NSF certified).
- Fast response time at < 5 seconds in moving liquid.
- Large LCD display with 0.1° resolution.
- Basic accuracy: ±1°F/0.5°C.
- Auto power off (with disable) after 1 hour or when probe is placed in stored position.
- Probe can be positioned from 0° (storage) to 180° angle.
- Ultrasonically welded housing (waterproof IP65 rated) with anti-microbial additive.
- Built-in magnetized strip attaches to refrigerator or smoker stand.
- Dishwasher safe (top rack).
- Dimensions: 4.6×1.5×0.8 inch (116 x 38 x 20 millimeter); Weight:1.5 ounce (41.2 gram).
- Complete with CR2032 battery.
The 2017 NBBQA Awards of Excellence competition judges BBQ Sauces and Rubs, one of the highest industry honors. BBQ Pro Shop follows the awards closely and are lucky enough to stock Duce’s Wild BBQ Sauce!
Duce’s Wild BBQ Sauce: DQ Glaze wins 1st Prize
Duce’s Wild BBQ Sauce was honored by the National Barbecue & Grilling Association at their annual conference and BBQ bash in Forth Worth, Texas at the Stockyards. Duce Raymond, is an outstanding chef and BBQ Pitmaster from Chicago and launched Duce’s Wild BBQ Sauce in many original flavors. Three of Duce’s Wild BBQ Sauces hold 2017 NBBQA Awards of Excellence titles. Duce’s Wild DQ Glaze, is the first place winner of the tomato mild competition. Duce’s Wild DQ Glaze BBQ Sauce is a chef inspired finishing glaze and dipping sauce. We love it on Pork Chops, Chicken, Ribs and Salmon. We have been spreading the word about this sauce for a long time, so glad the judges at NBBQA agree!
Duce’s Wild BBQ Sauce: Competition Sauce wins 2nd Place
The other winner, Duce’s Wild Competition Sauce took home 2nd place honors in the vinegar sauce category and is another huge winner as well. Our experience is that the Competition BBQ Sauce produces an amazing lacquer when used as a finishing sauce on meats. Try it on burgers, BBQ chicken and any type of pork, It is a blend of sweet and heat that is not to be missed. Duce’s Wild competition team has competed both KCBS and MBN Competitions, taking home top awards in both.
BBQ Pro Shop will carry Alabama White Gold Sauce which won a 2nd place award in the white sauce category. Congratulations to Duce Raymond owner of Duce’s Wild and his Uncle Dave Raymond, AKA Sweet Baby Ray. We have known and followed Duce Raymond’s BBQ for many years and enjoyed all of his BBQ inspired culinary creations. BBQ Pro Shop is ready to ship to our great customers and fans of BBQ!
Below we share with you our top picks for BBQ Gloves to help you handle meat, hot coals and protect your hands.
As the owner of BBQ Pro Shop, we often get asked a lot of questions about what we recommend and use ourselves. Many years ago, we made the switch to focus on finding the best BBQ Rubs, Grill Seasonings, Seasoned Salts and Sauces and stepped away from the world of BBQ gear. However, as an avid griller and smoker, we wanted to share with you the BBQ Gloves that have done us so right over the years!
- Tending Fires and Coals – When we started to use a chimney starter and deal with indirect cooking, we needed an all-purpose BBQ glove to help make sure we did not burn our hands when dumping coals, or setting grates onto the grill. We suggest buying welding gloves, you can buy them on Amazon or at your local Home Depot or Hardware store and they are perfect all-purpose gloves for grilling over hot coals as well. That way when they get soot and soiled, you will know to use them only for tending the flame.
- Pulling Pork and Handling Meat– For many years we have grilled or smoked our turkeys and handling those off the grill is never easy. That is why we wear Oil Shield, insulated NeoPrene BBQ gloves with 14″ sleeves. It allows for maximum comfort when handling a 20 LB turkey hot off the grill, as well as pork shoulders, and 18# briskets. Your hands and arms stay safe and they have a great grip on the meat as well. We often use BBQ Gloves to pull pork butts and shoulders as well remove bones.
- Rubbing or Seasoning Meat– We go to Costco and buy two packs of nitrile gloves which can be bought on Amazon or in most drug store chains. These are great all purpose BBQ Gloves for handling meat, applying rub, trimming and placing raw meat on the grill or smoker. They are disposable so helps avoid cross contamination on different meats. Love to use them when carving, serving or slicing, they add a layer of food safety and keep your hands from getting too greasy and smelling like whatever you touched last.
Below are some links to our favorite products on Amazon, with these three suggestion in your BBQ and Grilling toolbox, your hands will be safe and you can better enjoy what you do!
Malcom Reed of Killer Hogs BBQ is one of the best competition BBQ guys out there and we have been selling his line of Killer Hogs BBQ Products since he started selling them. As a BBQ lover, I follow his YouTube Channel HowToBBQRight and watch the instructional videos to learn how to smoke those difficult cuts of meat. One of the crowd pleasers for any event it the Rib Eye Roast, AKA Prime Rib Roast and can be picked up in the meat counter of your favorite butcher or at Costco or Sam’s Club.
If you are new to smoking or an experienced smoker, see below for some tips and tricks from Malcom Reed and follow his YouTube channel for even more information on how to smoke your favorite foods.
Suggested BBQ Rubs for Beef:
Bigmista’s Bitchin’ Beef Rub
The Rub Co Santa Maria Rub
Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Rub
Malcom Reed Killer Hog BBQ Sauces, Rubs and Seasonings
Abt Electronics and Appliances is a local favorite that has become a national juggernaut in the appliances space. We found a great Outdoor Grill Buying Guide on their site that helps lead you in the right direction when you are looking to buy a gas, charcoal, liquid propane, smokers or electric grills. They sell Weber and Big Green Egg and a lot of other high quality brands, enjoy!
Get your grill on with ABT!